Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Application critique: Discord

Group 4's presentation is not the first time I heard about Discord, I use the app before and I really like it, so it is my lucky day to be assigned to write about Discord. Here is some of my comment about the presentation. Firstly, I agree that Discord have potential to compete with its competitors (just like its homepage's headline: "It's time to ditch Skype and TeamSpeak."). Discord is better than its 2 major opponents in many aspect such as it is free, it has better security and performance, channel and permission management. That's why it achieve huge success in a short period after launching. Secondly, the presenters also describe some bad things about the app such as no user profile, no search, no video chat like Skype. Finally, the presenters talk about Discord's business model. Discord has focus on a specific type of user: gamer. Many of its features are suitable for gamer such as high performance that make the game run smoothly. Discord can make money from microtransations such as selling stickers, themes, ... but they guarantee that the core features are always free. Moreover, Discord has the potential in other field such as: streaming, recording music or tools for presenters (I think this will need video streaming to be feasible).

I also want to add some of my opinions about the app. Firstly, I really like the simplicity of Discord, you don't need to sign-in or register, just need some clicks and typing, then you can share the channel's link with your friends. Of course it need to add the user profile feature for long-term use on multiple devices. Secondly, Discord's IP and DDoS protection is one of the best. I think Discord is the first voice chat that implement it although Skype recently release an update to improve this aspect as well. Personally, I think this feature is very important especially for professional gamer. I watch a lot of gaming tournaments, and I see that in some small-medium tournament, teams and players have to play qualifier on-line which means they have to play from home or the teams' headquaters rather than playing on-LAN. So I saw some players being DDoS and disconnect in the middle of the game, so it ruin the game. The reason is the most profession use Skype (the old version) to communicate, and some attacker manage to obtain their IP and start attacking the player. So I really like Discord since it make security a priority from the first day of development.

7 comments:

  1. First : Your post has covered the main important parts of our presentation. However, as in the assignment description, you should not just regurgitate the entire presentation, you should focus on 3 important points (as said in workshop) and explain why you think these are important.

    Second: I think in your opinions about the application, we have also covered these parts in our presentation. Yeb, Discord is secure, and it is one of the most difference between Discord and TeamSpeak or Skype (they only have IP protection). That's why I think Discord is better to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I forget to mention that your team talked about security too. But I also give some examples of my own (as a gamer) to support your argument.

      Delete
  2. One of the application I notice in the seminar is Discord App, which I have used for a while. I play online game a lot like you and Discord is always my first choice of communication over internet. The point I really like it is because its convenience friendly interface when we can just take maximum 4 seconds to join your party. I don't need to launch and setup other application as with Skype and Teamviewer, which can lower down my gaming mood. The quality is also very good, which is much better than in-game voice chat. That's why, I really love Discord and hope it can grow further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont play game, especially online (team) game so much, so I did not know about Discord before. After the presentations, I spent a bit time to play around with it and found that it gave me a quite good user experience. I am not good at security, so I could not know how better it is compared to others (Skype, TeamSpeak), but in term of a new user, I really like the user interface (it gives me a similar feeling as Slack when the first time I used Slack). I also agree with you that we can use it without sign in or register, because it is very convenient for us when we want to make a quite conversation with friends. I really believe that Discord can improve more and get more popular in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I do not play online game at all, so to be honest, this is the first time I hear about Discord.
    I love the idea of using app without profile, especially just for an streaming app like Discord. Due to the fact that you only need user profile to store information that you can get back in the future, for a streaming app, no user profile is a good idea. It makes the app to be simple to use. Furthermore, users care about their private information, I am quite annoyed because now Google and Facebook have so many information about me. So the idea of Discord should be encouraged.
    Secondly, you mention about the security part, I am just curious why gamers care about security for streaming and why the app is DDOS? What is the purposes of people doing that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are various motive for attacking professional player. They have a huge bet on the losing team. Or simply the losing team is their favorite team, we all want our loved idols win, right.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your review Thang, I'm not a gamer so it might be more difficult for me to accurately predict the success of Discord but there are some lessons that Discord can learn from other applications.


    I think you are too quick to judge Discord's capability with competing apps. You claim that "Discord is better ... it is free, it has better security and performance".
    Personally I use Skype quite a bit and find that it's performance is pretty good. And almost always depends on network usage. Skype has been around for a long time, and to me they have been working quite well for the past 2-3 years. Additionally, you claim that Discord is free, but Skype is free too. Perhaps you mean that Discord allows any number of people to talk to each other whereas free Skype has a limit of concurrent users.

    I really agree with your claim that "Discord can make money from microtransations such as selling stickers, themes, ... but they guarantee that the core features are always free". This I feel allows users to be comfortable using the application and makes Discord focus on improving their core feature which is multi-user chat/call. Focussing on the core service is important for Discord to compete well with other players.

    ReplyDelete